Thursday, 13 October 2016

Twin babies burnt to death in Ogun petrol fire

Tragedy struck in Gaun community, in the
Magboro area of Ogun State, after two
children, Taiye and Kehinde Oluwasegun,
were burnt to death in an inferno that
gutted their parents’ bungalow on Tuesday.

PUNCH Metro reports that the incident
happened around 8pm while the family
was preparing to have dinner.


The first born of the family, Iyanu, had
tripped over a jerrycan of fuel, which also
spilled some of its content in the parlour.
While the mother mopped the spillage, the
fuel was said to have flowed to a lantern in
the house, which triggered an explosion.
Residents, who were alerted by calls for
help, reportedly rescued Iyanu; the second
child, Korede; and their parents.

However, the twin children, aged three,
were burnt to death. When Punch visited the area on Wednesday, he observed that everything in the house was burnt as smoke still billowed from burnt property in the three-bedroomed bungalow.

Korede, six, who sustained burns in the
leg, told PUNCH Metro that his father,
Aina, was about taking their generator
outside when his sister fell. He said,
“My daddy has two generators. We use the
big one to pump water, while the small one is for the house.

“My daddy had put the small one in the
room to pour petrol into it before taking it
to the cage that was outside. My mummy
was preparing food in the kitchen that
time.

“My sister, who didn’t know there was a
jerrycan on the floor, tripped over it. My
mum then took the mop to clean spilled
petrol. She was doing that when the fire
started. There were six of us in the house:
my dad and mum, my sister, the twins and
me.”Punch observed that there was no
motorable road in the community and the
area was connected to the rest of Magboro by a stretch of rickety bamboo bridge.

A motorcyclist in the area, who did not
identify himself, said the survivors were
helped by residents to cross the bridge.
He said, “It was a difficult task getting the survivors to the hospital. We had to carry them on our backs with their burns.

“The woman kept asking for her twins,
while the husband kept lamenting that he
lost everything to the fire.”PUNCH Metro
visited Perfect Joy Hospital where three
members of the family were taken to for
treatment.

They observed that Aina, a carpenter,
suffered severe burns in his legs, hands,
face and chest, while his wife, Abosede, a
teacher, suffered burns in both legs.

It was learnt that she had yet to be
informed that the twins were dead.
A relative of the victims, Pastor Moses
Igbinadolor, said Iyanu was in another
hospital, adding that she sustained serious
burns.

He lamented the lack of basic amenities in
the community, saying it made the rescue
difficult.
“We took Iyanu to another hospital and the
doctor said she sustained 68 degrees burns.
What, however, made the case worse was
that we couldn’t get across to the fire service because there is no motorable road.

The nearest police station is at Ibafo. This
just shows that we don’t have a listening
government. No road, no power, no
water,” he said.Punch reports they learnt
that the case was not reported to the police.
The traditional ruler of Gaun community,
Sumonu Seidu, said a delegation from the
community had visited the victims in the
hospital.

“I am aware the couple lost their twins
after a fire incident,” he said.



SHARE THIS

0 comments: